As I write this in January, much of the country is freezing (literally) and certainly not thinking about off-leash dog parks, but in San Francisco the story is quite different. Off-leash dog parks are enjoyed year round in San Francisco.
(Tanner-heading to the park to play)
At last count, the City of San Francisco has 28 off-leash dog areas, where well-behaved pooches can romp and play with others. These are scattered throughout the various neighborhoods in San Francisco.
Of course, there are some rules to be followed, including:
- Dogs must be controlled to avoid destructive behavior and excessive barking
- Vaccinations and licenses must be current (a license is required for every dog over 4 months of age)
- Pick up and remove dog waste
- Do not leave your pet unattended
- Dog walker are welcomed, and asked to limit the number of dogs they bring to 6
- Leash your dog(s) in on-leash areas
To learn more about some of the specific parks in San Francisco with off-leash dog areas, check out the Dog Play Area Program of the City of San Francisco.
Living in San Francisco - fun year round for 4-legged friends as well as 2-legged ones! Is it time for you to live your San Francisco dream?